It is a new year and everyone is posting their new year/new resolutions posts. I’ve never been one to make resolutions. However, after coming back from a week of vacation and realizing that there is a lot of clutter in my life that could be better managed these days, I’m feeling like jumping on the new years bandwagon.
I guess I always thought of resolutions as a nagging to-do list that would inevitably be left, at least partially, undone (seldom is it that a full list of resolutions is accomplished, even given a whole year). Therefore, I avoided the concept and just hoped for improvement in my life along the way as it comes. But this year I am re-thinking the concept. A resolution is not something that I must do (okay, okay, I know that you are actually supposed to do them because you resolve to) but something I am aspiring to do. I want to do these things, and sometimes just standing up and declaring out loud (or on the internet) that this is something I am going to attempt, and possibly fail, is worth it. Sometimes there is so much going on in life that we forget to try things just for the sake of trying them. So without further ado, here are the events/goals/projects that I’m going to leap toward!
In no particular order…
- Remember to put the tooth paste cap back on the tube, every time (starting small helps build momentum for other resolution follow-through, right?)
- Be kinder to those I see every day
- Stick to my workout schedule
- Write an article to be published in my county’s professional newspaper
- Learn how to wear bright pink lipstick
- Adopt an animal from a shelter (going to need some concurrence from my husband on this one)
- Clean out that one back corner of my closet that never gets attention
- Perfect the confident handshake
- Play my cello once a month (at least) just for fun
- Send more handwritten letters
That’s probably enough for now. Bring it on 2014!